Author Topic: SWW Trail conditions - 2013  (Read 9616 times)

heather

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: SWW Trail conditions - 2013
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
There are several new trees that fell overnight.  A few in the flood plain and one on the climb to the parking lot.  Main Mtb trail is a solid GREEN.

ssjeff

• Training wheels on
  • Legally Armed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 02:00:23 AM »
Anyone know if the trees were cleared? I may take a hand saw out next time to clear them if they are not.
2013 Stumpjumper (TreeThumper)
1997 Cannondale Road bike.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
    • Bicycle Outfitters Indy
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 05:49:52 AM »
Anyone know if the trees were cleared? I may take a hand saw out next time to clear them if they are not.

We'll have a trail work session Tue at ~630pm, I'll bring my equipment so we can remove it.  We could use a hand  ;)

David Gardner
Visit Bicycle Outfitters Indy--Indy's Westside Bike Shop
Southwestway Trail Bum

fullenchilada

• Indy's West Side Bike Shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 04:50:46 PM »
sorry I missed this, please let me know when the next work session would be ,

Thanks
john

gt ss

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
trails had ONE little wet spot this afternoon right by the boy scout bridge.

The newest trail is very nice with AWESOME lines of sight.

Kirk Hilton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Rode yesterday at noon.  Everything was dry except below the levee.  New section is a nice addition, wish it would continue behind the GC to the fishing lake.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
Your wish is our command.  RTP trails will go to Cottonwood Lake.
HMBA President

matt_laker

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
Your wish is our command.  RTP trails will go to Cottonwood Lake.
Do you know what additional distance that will add, Paul?  Rode the new section, along with the older section, several times this morning and as mentioned by others, the new trails are awesome!  Once all trails are added and SWW has considerably more length, has there been any discussion about making the trails one-way?  Also as mentioned, the sight lines on the new section are great....Lenape, not so much.  There are some sections where you can get up pretty good speed and then have a corner/switchback; I'm always extra cautious when approaching those areas and I always hope any others coming the opposite direction are as well, but I'm sure that's not always the case.  Just curious.  Again, thanks for all the work and effort!
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!"
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
"If you can't be on time, be early!"

MCR

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 06:14:43 AM »
Rode last night I have not rode southwestway for some time and must say  the new trail a blast to ride   it gets 2 thumbs up :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:32:31 AM by monocog »

ups

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
Do you know what additional distance that will add, Paul?

We're off to a good start despite the recent wet weather.  We spent much of the past few weeks clearing a wide corridor through the thick honeysuckle.  Our efforts have been concentrated on the west side of the Horse/Hike/Bike loop along the golf course.  It's the pink/purple route shown below:

This trail (the pink one) is intended to accommodate all trail users with a distinct preference for our equestrian friends.  For this reason we wanted to establish a clear line-of-sight and keep the turns wide and gradual.  It won't be the most compelling bike trail but will be an important part of the overall trail network. 

We've roughed-in nearly half of the west side and expect to have this connected to the parking lot early next week.  This route will be a bit rough for a while as it will be used as an access route for delivering materials/equipment to the other phases.

there are many exciting trail segments of varying styles to come.  We want to get the horse/hike/bike trail finished first before we move on to the other trails.

We know that there are many talented trail builders out there chomping at the bit to help out.  We definitely need your help.  There are plenty of big task to tackle in the near future.  The next two weeks will be concentrated on continued honeysuckle removal and establishment of the horse/hike/bike.  We don't plan to organize a formal workday until after the Midwest IMBA summit.  In the meantime, if you see us out there and would like to help, we'd welcome the company.

ups

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »
It's been about a week since I've been out there guys but there was a tree down on the new loop, I'm guessing 1/3 to 1/2 way in on the west side.  If it's still there I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »
Anybody in the area have any reports of how bad the rain is, or trail conditions?

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
Anybody in the area have any reports of how bad the rain is, or trail conditions?

I'm taking an educated guess that SWW got some rain, which is not unwelcome.  It helps keep the dust down.  But I'd definitely stay off the new trail till it gets ridden in more.
David Gardner
Visit Bicycle Outfitters Indy--Indy's Westside Bike Shop
Southwestway Trail Bum

ssjeff

• Training wheels on
  • Legally Armed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
Trail is in great shape. I would say green. There is a tree down on the north loop. There are several others that are over the trail that keep inching their way down. When is the next chain saw class?
2013 Stumpjumper (TreeThumper)
1997 Cannondale Road bike.

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
I noticed the light is red, any word on the night race?

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links