Author Topic: Training, Diet, Energy - HELP!  (Read 1485 times)

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: Training, Diet, Energy - HELP!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
I didn't read all the replies so not sure if it was mentioned or not, I like to mix either gatoraid or hammer heed in my hydro-pack, helps to keep energy levels up during the ride, compared to just water.

Not riding, decent amounts of ice cream & beer (not at the same time) seems to do me just fine :) hah.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

RiverBankRider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »
Traders Point sez to not forget to power up with a big 'ol glass of chocolate milk for optimal recovery after your bonk sessions.
2012 Mountain Cycle Twentysixandsix
2010 Redline Conquest

MikeVK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
I suppose someone should have given the "Check with your Physician" disclaimer also - just in case more serious heart or health issues led to Bonking instead of the over-exertion we all tend to push ourselves toward.

Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
I will jump in only to also recommend that you keep a log of everything you eat, and the nutrional value of those food items. Eat 6 small meals a day. My mid-morning snack may be as simple as a single serving low-fat yogurt and some berries, or a hard boiled egg (and I often don't eat they yoke, just the white) and a handful of berries, or a small handful of mixed nuts and a half of an apple. Same in the middle of the afternoon.

Remember, it is not just how many calories you take it. You could sit down and eat a 5 pound bag of sugar and thereby go WAY above your max calories needed for a day, but take in almost zero nutrition (protein, vitamins and minerals).

When you keep a food log, you also need to keep a simple log of your training and rides as well as your sleep patterns, and take notice of when you feel good or bad on a ride and your energy levels during a ride and a race. You may start to see a pattern there... for example maybe you sleep an extra hour or two on the weekends and your weekend rides you feel better with more energy, whereas you maybe start to feel tired in your training as you get to the end of the week? Just an example, mind you.

There is no need to go overboard on the log, just a simple small spiral binder from wal-mart or target, or an excel spreadsheet with one tab for your food, one for your miles (again, just 3 columns of "where I rode, how many miles, how I felt", or organize it by the day, etc. Keep it simple enough that you'll use it and stick with it or what you prefer. There are a ga-gillion ways to do it from a spiral notebook to umpteen-bazillion software packages and phone apps.

What's inside the bass wants out...

dhorner

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
If you can access one, you may want to monitor your blood sugar as well during your training, and when not. Though its uncommon for a young active person to develop diabetes, it can happen. Typically it can be controlled by doing as most are saying; good diet (which you seem to be doing) and adding in a little extra when exercising (which you did with success it sounds like). The reason it's good to know is you are at an extra risk to do damage if you are diabetic/doing strenuous exercise/not monitoring blood sugar. In all honesty it is likely not the case, but I am the type to rather know what I am dealing with so I can act accordingly vs just guessing.

I have been accused of being a bit of a hypochondriac as well.  ;)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links