Author Topic: Weekly Short Track is Back at Town Run!  (Read 6145 times)

j.dub

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Weekly Short Track is Back at Town Run!
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Re: Weekly Short Track is Back at Town Run!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »
It sounds like you are doing great!

The short track is not technical. It's more of a pain and suffering ride. Around, and around, and around - going as hard as you can. Riders of different skill and fitness levels all mixed together, passing, being passed, feeling like passing out, etc. It's super-great workout. It's kind of like hitting yourself with a hammer; when you stop, it feels great.  ;)  Here is what one lap looks like

I encourage you to go to the next DINO race at France Park in Logansport. Go to http://www.dinoseries.com/indiana-mountain-bike-series/ and scroll down to the “NEW TO RACING?” section. The “intro” class sounds perfect for you. The first intro is free and it will introduce you to that style of racing, in a beginner friendly format. If you like it, then you can do the last race of the season – just down at Southwestway park. I think both races would be a blast for you. The races are very social and just a ton of fun. Go for it!

I just started MTBing this year, and I ride at Town Run and Fort Ben quite often. I'm interested in time trials and racing but not sure how sharp my skills are. I've got my laps at TRTP to sub 36 and trying now to get somewhere in the 34 range, it's tough but I know it will come. Any tips or pointers into MTBing time trials/racing and are my times decent enough to give either a shot?

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »
Some history:  Short track racing at Town Run start due to Brian Bauer.  He was on the Bikeline Racing team with me and he traveled to Boulder CO, where they had a big weekly short track race.  He wanted to do something similar here in Indy.  We thought about it for a while, looking for a location. While there were some challenges, we picked Town Run, as many mountain bikers already road there.

This was a team event.  We had about 6 or 8 team members and each team member took a week to host the race. 

Brian eventually moved to Colorado, and I transitioned from racing to advocacy.  For a couple years I continued the short track under the HMBA flag, but eventually I became too busy to keep it going.

Here are some challenges:

1)  The people who most want short track racing are those who want to race short track.  But in order to host short track you have to give up racing the short track.  There are a whole lot of things on HMBA's plate that would come before hosting short track.  So is there a group of racers willing to give up some time riding to host the event?

2) If you want to have a short track race in the summer/fall, you really should be planning it in the winter and getting a plan in place.  It is really too late now to talk about a short track race series this year.  So who is willing to plan that far ahead?

Paul

HMBA President

alifford

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Short track at Town Run is back for 2015!  Things will kick-off starting this Wednesday, June 3rd at 7pm.  We will gather at the lower parking lot (near the entrance) of Town Run Trail Park, and start promptly at 7pm.  The course is roughly 1/2 mile in length, features a couple smooth rollers, a bermed turn, and several good passing zones. Don't worry if you think you'll be too fast or too slow for the group... everyone is very respectful and there are plenty of places to pass one another.  Some call it a "race", but it's really just a bunch of guys/gals getting together for an off-road 45 minute high intensity workout.  Look up Indy MTB Short Track on Facebook for more updates.  See everyone on Wednesday!
2011 Niner Air9, SRAM XX.
2013 Specialized SL4 Pro.
2005 Trek Liquid 25.

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
Short track swimming at Town Run is back for 2015!  You can kick-off your flippers starting this Wednesday, June 3rd at 7pm.  We will gather at the lower beachfront (near the entrance) of Town Run Trail Park, and start paddling promptly at 7pm.  The course is roughly 1/2 nautical mile in length, features a couple smooth swells, a whitecap or two, and several good passing zones. Don't worry if you think you'll be too fast or too slow for the group... everyone is very respectful and there are plenty of places to dunk one another and play chicken.  Some call it a "race", but it's really just a bunch of guys/gals getting together for a wet and wild 45 minute high intensity swim.  Look up Indy MTB Short Track on Facebook for more updates.  See everyone in their trunks and bikinis on Wednesday!

I think you nailed it!

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
^ Nice, Z:D

Well, hopefully things will be as dry as it was in 2014 soon!

alifford

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:09:32 PM »
Attend any Short Track at Town Run during the month of June to be entered to receive 1 of 4 free entries to the AMBC Short Track State Championship at Muscatatuck Park in North Vernon, Indiana on July 4th! Show some love to the DINO Mountain Biking Series for supplying this awesome giveaway! One winner will be chosen at random after each short track in June.

We're racing tonight at 7pm, so come join the fun!
2011 Niner Air9, SRAM XX.
2013 Specialized SL4 Pro.
2005 Trek Liquid 25.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links