Author Topic: Tipsaw Lake... Anyone have a status?  (Read 1554 times)

wanderer

• View Profile
Tipsaw Lake... Anyone have a status?
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:51:21 AM »
Anyone know the condition of Tipsaw Lake Trails?  It's been a very long time since my last trip when there were 7 big piles of downfalls hard to get through and the trail was overgrown.

Traci's HIFI29

• Global Moderator
  • HMBA/IMBA Member and enjoying the ride of my life
    • View Profile
Re: Tipsaw Lake... Anyone have a status?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
My husband and I rode there in April, when all the other trails were still soft and muddy.....the trail has really not had much work done on it in several years.....they do keep the weeds down and most of the trees cut, but as far as anything else, it is what it is.....My biggest thing about it is that it just does not flow.....but I am spoiled with FL, HSP, and all the other trails.

We need to go back, as it is close to home for us.....let us know if you go and what the conditions are like now that the summer has come:)
HoosierBiker

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Tipsaw is one of my favorite trails for it's ruggedness.  It's rugged while still being enjoyable.  It's not quite intermediate overall, but some parts are.  I love the place.  It's never overrun with riders, but that's also a negative in that it does get overgrown and neglected.   It's definitely not a place I go when it's extremely hot out.   I'll try and make it there the first weekend I can with decent weather.

smackgilbson

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
I have rode Tipsaw as well. Not recently. I just remember it had a creek crossing similar to the wide creek crossings in the south where you have to ride through the water and river rocks. The park has great camping as well. With Obanon close by and its future trail system potential I don't see too much love given to Tipsaw lake But I do remember seeing the potential of the park for mountain bike trails. Just mainly in the higher elevations of the park were there are none now.
-ride on, Zach

yellowrocketbike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
Tipsaw is my "home" trail as I live in Tell City. I have ridden it twice this weekend so will give you an update. I often complain to the National Forest Ranger station as to the condition of the trails, but it usually only comforts me because they cite low budget for not taking care of it. At least I have given my two cents worth. As of today (Sun 7/1/2012) the trail is as good as it has been for some time. They finally cleared all down trees on the trail, and recently mowed almost all of it. Of course, it is very dry, which also means it is very fast. All of the creek crossings are dry, but the first one past what we call "Stonehenge" is a little difficult, but rideable. I should note that I park at stonehenge near Lanham cemetery off of Limestone road as it is closest coming from Tell City, and I usually ride the trail clockwise. After you cross the creek near the main trail head, the trail has a lot of multifloral roses (some call green briers) on it, which will result is many scratches on your arms, but no other real hindrance to your ride. Because of that I would give the trail about a "B" rating. Very fast and fun right now. My lap Friday morning was 36 minutes, not bad for an old guy. By all means, if you are in the area, it is worth the trip. Get a permit, spray for ticks, and have some fun! I would love to see more on this trail

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
Thanks for the update!!    I'm not much of a heat person so I won't be riding any trails until the weather straightens out.

I need to find out once and for all what the permit situation is at Tipsaw.  If you pay to get in to the park, do you still need a trail permit?

yellowrocketbike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
To ride Tipsaw, or any Hoosier National Forest trail for that matter, you need a trail permit. Cyclist and horse riders need the permit, not hikers. You can purchase a one day pass for $5.00 or a yearly pass for $30.00. If you plan on riding any at all on Hoosier forest trails (Tipsaw, Birdseye, Nebo Ridge, etc.) it is worth it to get the yearly pass. 5 bucks a pop adds up pretty quickly for each day. That said, you DO NOT have to pay the gate fee to ride the trail, at least at Tipsaw (and I don't think any where else either). The trail head at Tipsaw is on your left just before you go through the pay gate. Or you can, as I stated earlier, park to ride the trail at the Lanham cemetery parking area off of Limestone road (which is off of French Ridge Road). As for the heat, since I am close, I usually get to the trail head around 6:30 in the morning on hot days, and can get in a lap or two before the heat gets bad. On Friday I noticed that the temp at the parking area was 15 degrees cooler than it was out on Hwy 37. Besides, any day that I start out with a mountain bike ride is sure to be a good day! Hope this helps, and hope to see you out there.

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
So, even though you pay the gate fee, they still require a trail permit?   What a joke!   I've been there many times, though, and just paid the gate fee and have never been bothered.

After the ice storm few years back, it was clear the FS couldn't have cared any less about Tipsaw.  So, it was me and a friend who went in and cleared 75% of the trail on our own.  Lots of downfalls, it wore us out big time, but we liked the trail and wanted to ride.  We got to the very end and it was the only pile too massive for us to handle so we called it a day.

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
You still riding out here?     I don't even recall my last visit now, but it didn't inspire me to go back like it used too.  Before the ice storm it seemed to be getting managed, we rode there quite often, trail fee and all to support the place.  After the ice storm and our clean up session it just seamed neglected ever since so I just paid the entry fee instead of hunting down a trail pass.  Would keep my pruning tool in the pack and clear out the worse areas that I could manage. The big tree piles are the main issue and without access to proper equipment on a regular basis it's near impossible to keep up with the piles.  I don't know what it is with that place and deadfall.  Don't ask me to pay trail fees if the money isn't being used for the trails I say.  Tipsaw just remains a hidden, neglected gem!  Being 1.5 hours away, it's not feasible for me to keep watch over it.   

I have Harmonie an hour away and can't even find time to help with the incredible effort out there that's been going on, but several locals are on top of it and looking out for everyone's best interest for sure.

yellowrocketbike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
As of last week, Tipsaw is clear and in pretty good condition. It is due for a mowing, but it is still pretty decent. I would say as good as Tipsaw gets. It is fast, and challenging when ridden hard. I am now riding a 29er, and can ride all the rock gardens and rock crossings without problem. My take, come down and ride it! Our group travel to French Lick and Ben Hawes often, but still enjoy doing a lap at Tipsaw. You should know that I live only a few blocks from the Ranger station In Tell City, and anytime I ride Tipsaw, and find problems, I am in their office letting them know. As you say, I pay for the privilege of riding National Forest trails, they need to know when there are issues. Believe me, they know me when I come in the door. By the same token, when the trail is in good shape, I try to stop by and let them know that as well. I think I mentioned this before, but will repeat. You DO NOT have to pay the gate fee to ride the trails at Tipsaw. There are two options. If you enter the main entrance, there is a trail head parking area to the left just before you go through the pay gate. No payment required. If you are coming from the south, you can turn left at the flashing light at French Ridge road, follow to Limestone road and turn right, follow that until you come to a small parking area we call Stonehenge. Park there, and hit the trail, again no gate fee required. Check it out on Google maps.

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, yellow.  Great to hear there is still a voice nearby for the place.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links